• Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs

What to do if you think your child may have additional educational needs

At Bowness-on-Solway Primary school, your child's teachers will talk to you if they have concerns about his or her progress. If you notice any difficulties with your child's learning you should ask your child's teacher about them first. We are able to support and help children who have special educational needs by providing, for example, extra help from their teachers and/or adapting the curriculum so it is more accessible for your child.

Also, all schools have a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) who may meet you if your child has SEND.  At Bowness-on-Solway the SENCo is Mr Walsh.

What you should ask

Talk to the teacher/SENCO about:

  • why you think your child has SEN
  • whether your child learns at the same rate as other children their age
  • what the school can do to help
  • what you can do to help

What we will do

Schools are required by law to provide an education for all pupils, regardless of their ability or special needs. Every child's education is equally important.

If the SENCO and your child's teacher agree that your child has SEN, we will take a 'graduated approach' - this means 'step-by-step'. We will offer your child extra support, with the possibility of more support if needed.  This can be adult support or through prompts and resources in school.

Whatever the school decides to do, you have the right to be informed and for your views, and your child's views, to be taken into account.

The school will also consider requesting an assessment for an education, health and care plan (EHCP).


Further information and support for parents

Additional advice and support is available from other useful organisations signposted below ...